Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Influence We All Have...

The other day, as I was looking through a birthday party supply catalog, my three-year-old pointed to Mickey Mouse and said that he would like to have "a Mickey Mouse party...or a Barack Obama party!"  First thought in my head was "Wow, my son has been Obamafied just like me." Then I looked at the television where CNN was turned on and was re-running the first presidential debates.  Holy Cow!  Was our son really in tune with what is going on around him? OR Were we (my husband and I) maybe talking too much about election issues around this young, developing mind? (As a side note: my three-year-old's grandma thinks "Mickey or Obama...pretty much the same thing")

The truth is that while I would like to influence what my kids, husband, co-workers, students, and others think, there is a point when I need to step back and respect the learning process--letting decisions be created by the individual and not made for them. 

I have had the opportunity, in the school where I work, to take this teachable moment in history (the 2008 election), combine it with my passion and design a course, Politics and Elections.  The first day of this class was today and I came out of the class with this goal: guide students into discovering what they believe in and encourage them to create political identities for themselves.  It's going to be tough, since I am a political person by nature, stubborn by birth (Taurus), and talkative by genes, but I am up for the challenge.

5 comments:

sschwister said...

You're so right. Sometimes we're reminded that we have more influence than we might think on the developing opinions and selfhood of children. Sometimes it takes a three-year-old to point it out. The politics course sounds exciting and perhaps represents a perfect storm: a compelling, important election dovetailing with a trend toward renewed interest and engagement in political discourse by the younger crowd. Lots of 17-year-olds with fall birthdays paying close attention and hopefully realizing the very real power they have to influence the political process.

You seem well-prepared and poised to walk the fine line of, as you say, guiding students into creating their own political identities without letting your own passions and convictions influence their decisions. Does that mean you have to hide your politics under a bushel? That's a sticky question. Arguably, the big ideas of political engagement and identity will carry more impact if they see you living it, modeling it, and demonstrating its importance in your life.

KJ Hauge said...

As for the politics and elections course... The kids LOVE it! As a teacher, our jobs are always to try to figure out ways to tie learning to the kids' lives... This class is the perfect opportunity. The information the kids are learning is valuable for their lives as citizens, as well as timely and relevant. Way to go.

Unknown said...

Modeling passion for your subject, without forcing your political views and encouraging students to think about their passions and form their own opinions is truly your ultimate goal. Providing students time to think about their beliefs and evaluate the candidates based on the beliefs they hold, will help students discover which is truly the one that most closely represents their values and beliefs about what America should be. These skills will benefit them in every decision they make and each candidate they vote for in years to come.

Carl Anderson said...

This sounds a lot like what has been going on at our house lately too. My three year old keeps using the phrases, "You have to choose" and "You have to make a choice." Somehow I think all the election coverage my wife and I have been watching has had some affect on her.

Kimberly said...

The idea of an Obama birthday party is hilarious to me... Who knew Obama could be so kitsch?

In regard to the Elections course, I love that our students are currently reflecting on their value systems and relating those systems to the world around them. These are the things we want for all our kids, but that many of our students do not know how to do coming from the often troubled lives they lead.

I am looking forward to reading more about the progression of your course as you continue to blog, Elizabeth. Also, how have the students done in regard to creating their own political identity?